Music Unit's Professional Sharing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Music Unit's Professional Sharing

A virtual site to share on professional matters pertaining to Assessment, Pedagogy, IT and Trends of content development in music education (e.g. Asian Music).

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Reflection

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
yap_sm

Reflection Empty
PostSubject: Reflection   Reflection Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 6:43 pm

Idea
Main Points of Learning
1. The different models of categorising learning outcomes according to types (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and levels (low to high) i.e. Bloom's Taxonomy, Gagne and Brigg's Learned Capabilities, the Posner and Rudnitsky Model.

2. In curriculum design, learning outcomes should not be merely content driven and should include a good mix of types and levels. In addition, the outcomes must be appropriate to the content taught and the developmental level of the students.

3. The need for authentic assessment techniques to achieve curriculum alignment. In selecting assessment methods, the type and level of the learning outcome must be taken into consideration for it to be authentic. For eg, lower-level outcomes can be assessed effectively with observable, measurable, objective assessments while higher-level ones may require a greater variety of assessments involving performance-based and problem-solving assessments.

Rolling Eyes
Reflection
For me, after reading this article, many things fall into place. Many of the points in the article are not entirely new, in fact we can see much of these applied in our examination syllabuses - the use of varied assessment modes such as composition portfolio, live recitals, written paper (and within this questions are split into structured questions and essays writing) as well as research projects really encompass all 3 types of learning outcomes (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) of varying levels.

The real challenge for us is to convince our GMP teachers the value of assessment in Music lessons and to equip them with the skills for it.

Have also included my question for you below:

lol!
Question
Choose a topic related to Music at primary or secondary level and do the following:
1. Decide on the type and level of the learning outcomes.
2. Suggest authentic assessment techniques for each of these learning outcomes.
Back to top Go down
MUS1
Admin
MUS1

Reflection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reflection   Reflection Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 11:08 pm

yap_sm wrote:
Idea
Main Points of Learning
1. The different models of categorising learning outcomes according to types (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and levels (low to high) i.e. Bloom's Taxonomy, Gagne and Brigg's Learned Capabilities, the Posner and Rudnitsky Model.

afro Which of the model is a better fit for music?

2. In curriculum design, learning outcomes should not be merely content driven and should include a good mix of types and levels. In addition, the outcomes must be appropriate to the content taught and the developmental level of the students.

afro If learning outcomes are not driven by content, what must it be driven by? What do you mean by "outcomes must be appropriate to the content taught and the developmental level of the students"?

3. The need for authentic assessment techniques to achieve curriculum alignment. In selecting assessment methods, the type and level of the learning outcome must be taken into consideration for it to be authentic. For eg, lower-level outcomes can be assessed effectively with observable, measurable, objective assessments while higher-level ones may require a greater variety of assessments involving performance-based and problem-solving assessments.

Rolling Eyes
Reflection
For me, after reading this article, many things fall into place. Many of the points in the article are not entirely new, in fact we can see much of these applied in our examination syllabuses - the use of varied assessment modes such as composition portfolio, live recitals, written paper (and within this questions are split into structured questions and essays writing) as well as research projects really encompass all 3 types of learning outcomes (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) of varying levels.

afro I am not quite sure whether we have thought through this carefully enough when we design our music syllabus. It will be interesting to test it out. Is there a balance of the different types of learning outcomes implicit in our syllabus? Is there a balance of the different level?Is there a good fit between the mode of assessment with the learning outcome we want to test in our examination syllabus?

The real challenge for us is to convince our GMP teachers the value of assessment in Music lessons and to equip them with the skills for it.

Have also included my question for you below:

lol!
Question
Choose a topic related to Music at primary or secondary level and do the following:
1. Decide on the type and level of the learning outcomes.
2. Suggest authentic assessment techniques for each of these learning outcomes.

afro Which should come first "topic" or "learning outcome"? I will suggest also that you further narrow the task to a specific aspect of our syllabus? e.g. looking at a particular aspect of stage 2 GMP?
Back to top Go down
https://muse.board-directory.net

Reflection
Page 1 of 1