Music Unit's Professional Sharing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Music Unit's Professional Sharing

A virtual site to share on professional matters pertaining to Assessment, Pedagogy, IT and Trends of content development in music education (e.g. Asian Music).

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Reflection

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MUS4

Reflection Empty
PostSubject: Reflection   Reflection Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 12:34 pm

Thought I would use the emoticons to structure my reflection:

Very Happy The article is very readable and well-organised, making the argument for AfL a very persuasive and reasonable one. The examples drawn from case studies are very powerful examples of how AfL can transform teaching and learning.

Sad Of course, there are major obstacles in persuading both teachers and students to adopt this approach to teaching and learning, mainly because it involves a rather drastic change of mindset. For teachers, it is not just about changing the pedagogy which they are used to, but also about restructuring their approach in managing their classrooms. For students, they will have to take responsibility of their own learning. Otherwise, its not going to work.

Surprised The long-term effects of AfL based on the examples are really convincing - just that it takes a LOT of time and effort on the teacher's part to make changes and improvements.

Shocked Some of the reccommendations are rather controversial and involves the slaughtering of some sacred cows (e.g. teachers should mark less)

bounce Yes, reading this article really makes me excited about AfL. What I'm thinking now is how to cascade all these ideas to our teachers!!!

What a Face
Back to top Go down
MUS1
Admin
MUS1

Reflection Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reflection   Reflection Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 5:09 pm

MUS4 wrote:
Thought I would use the emoticons to structure my reflection:

Very Happy The article is very readable and well-organised, making the argument for AfL a very persuasive and reasonable one. The examples drawn from case studies are very powerful examples of how AfL can transform teaching and learning.

[ study Yes, I agree with you, it was very well-written. What about the article that makes it so reader friendly especially for our teachers who do not have time to study this topic in a very indepth manner?]

Sad Of course, there are major obstacles in persuading both teachers and students to adopt this approach to teaching and learning, mainly because it involves a rather drastic change of mindset. For teachers, it is not just about changing the pedagogy which they are used to, but also about restructuring their approach in managing their classrooms. For students, they will have to take responsibility of their own learning. Otherwise, its not going to work.

[ scratch What are some possible solutions to this issue? The article does suggest some broad ideas but do you have any insights to this from a practitioner's standpt? How does the teacher in the example on questioning technique manage to 'change' himself/herself in the 7 months]

Surprised The long-term effects of AfL based on the examples are really convincing - just that it takes a LOT of time and effort on the teacher's part to make changes and improvements.

[ sunny Is that what is expected of a teacher? A teacher's career can span 30-40 years. Is that a reasonable amount of time to expect changes and improvement?]

Shocked Some of the reccommendations are rather controversial and involves the slaughtering of some sacred cows (e.g. teachers should mark less)

[ rendeer I love radical solutions to get radical results]

bounce Yes, reading this article really makes me excited about AfL. What I'm thinking now is how to cascade all these ideas to our teachers!!!

[ flower So glad for this respond. How are u going to proceed on this?]
Back to top Go down
https://muse.board-directory.net

Reflection
Page 1 of 1