Music Unit's Professional Sharing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Music Unit's Professional Sharing

A virtual site to share on professional matters pertaining to Assessment, Pedagogy, IT and Trends of content development in music education (e.g. Asian Music).

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Visiting P4 Music Classroom (1 hr)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
horer1

Visiting P4 Music Classroom (1 hr) Empty
PostSubject: Visiting P4 Music Classroom (1 hr)   Visiting P4 Music Classroom (1 hr) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 8:38 am

1. Teacher introduced to the class the topic for the lesson: “Forms and Repetition” or “Jie2 Gou4”
“Many songs have a Jie2 Gou4 which is verse and chorus.”

Students
“Oh like rock music”
[most students’ paying attention/on task]

2. Introduced the song My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean- “Listen to the song”

Highlighted the different coloring of verse and chorus in the songsheet

“What is the difference between the verse and chorus”

“Yes – because the rhythmic pattern is different” [when told that the difference is in the colouring of blue and green in the book]

“Listen. XX – pay attention”
“Listen again and sing”

“The back of the class didn’t sing – lets try again”

“This is a Scottish song”->
“How can you say that?” [When a student said it is horrible]

Student
[student pointed that another student disturbed her]

[Class mostly restless]

“What is a Bonnie?”
[Teacher responded that she will explain later - she didnt.]

“Different in chorus and verse is one is in green and one in blue” [when asked what is the difference]

[AA walks to cabinet to find things –“I lost my wallet”]
[Class restless]
[Class listens and sings along]
[Class sings louder when told that back row not singing]

“No wonder song is so horrible” [when told it is a Scottish song]

2. “Lets listen to another song – Brahms’ Lullaby”“Is anyone listening?”

“The difference in Section A and B is that the rhythm is different”

3. “Lets listen to another song – Jingle Bells”

“Lets sing together”

“Notice that there are only 2 parts to this song – and the 2nd part can be repeated many times”

“Lets sing again”

Students

Much livelier singing.
[Class restless]

4. “Lets look at New World Symphony”“If there are students talking, then I will not continue”

“The ternary form is like the burger – the middle section is the chorus – the rhythm is about the same but the xuan2 lu4 is different”

“I think you forget that you should be listening”

“Look out for ABA form”

“Is anyone listening to it seriously "ren4 zheng1 de ting1”

“The first and last sections do not need to be exactly the same – di san jie de xuan lug en di yi jie shi yi yang de. Dan shi yin jie bu tong”

Students
"Yes play the song!”
[class restless]

“Sounds like a Chinese song”
“Generated by the computer one… no singing…”

5. “Is our school song in AB, ABA or simply “A” form”
Pay attention when you sing the song tomorrow”

NB:
1. Thanked Ms XX for letting me visit her music classroom.
2. Complimented her translations of musical terms in Chinese. Asked her whether this was a requirement by the school. She responded that the school did not give any guideline – but she being a Chinese teacher, she felt more comfortable teaching in both English and Chinese.
3. She also alerted me that this was a tail-end of the P4 classes in terms of academic ability.
4. Lesson was 0.5/1 hr.
Back to top Go down
suriati

PostSubject: Visiting P4 Music Classroom   Visiting P4 Music Classroom (1 hr) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 9:00 am

After reading through your somewhat 'transcription', I am keen to know how you respond to the lesson and the teacher. What would you recommend for change? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
horer1

PostSubject: Re: Visiting P4 Music Classroom (1 hr)   Visiting P4 Music Classroom (1 hr) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 10:03 am

suriati wrote:
After reading through your somewhat 'transcription', I am keen to know how you respond to the lesson and the teacher. What would you recommend for change? Twisted Evil

flower Yea yea yea = a response. Flower for you.

First of all, I didnt go into the class with the intention of changing anything. I just wanted to get to see a typical P4 lesson in that school. Second, I was quite aware that I would not be evaluating the teacher / instruction - therefore you would notice that I did not tell her whether this was a 'good' or 'bad' lesson. I merely thanked her and told her that I was quite impressed with her translation of terms and use of both English and Chinese. Third, I was in fact more interested in the students' responses towards her instruction/question. I will probably meet up with the SH to talk more.

What is your response? Question Question Idea What have the students learnt in this lesson? What a Face Question Idea
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Visiting P4 Music Classroom (1 hr)   Visiting P4 Music Classroom (1 hr) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Visiting P4 Music Classroom (1 hr)
Page 1 of 1